Central Sterile Processing
In collaboration with the Director, or designee, the Central Sterile will be responsible for ensuring the Central Sterile department is adequately staff to accommodate the volume. The Central Sterile ensures that reprocessing activities are in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and congruent with State Health, TJC standards and AORN. The Central Sterile is a member of the Infection Control Committee, works with other team members to support optimal and efficient surgical services. The Central Sterile ensures employees are thoroughly trained and documents competencies. Provides administrative assistance to the Director, or designee, in working on internal and external projects. Provides accurate documentation concerning staffs performance to the Director, or designee, with follow up to improve performance or processes.
This position assists professional staff in providing care for the G.I. patient before, during and after a procedure in the designated G.I. area, patient care area and emergency department. This position will also be responsible for training newly assigned personnel. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
- Processes and ensures appropriate supply of sterile goods and equipment to all areas within the hospital; this functions includes decontamination, cleaning, packing, sterilizing, storing and distribution of supplies.
- Maintains appropriate supplies used in the process of sterilizing items for use in the hospital and any other institution or organization deemed appropriate by the administrative staff.
- Reports any supply not readily available for replenishment by notifying the Director of the appropriate department.
- Actively participates in direct patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Performs clinical quality improvement activities such as patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction and staff satisfaction.
- Opens sterile supplies and instrumentation for procedures to be performed.
- Demonstrates proficiency to operate and/or apply G.I. equipment and instrumentation.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and apply principles of infection control and medical ethics.
- Demonstrates proficiency in interpreting patient status information during procedures.
- Assists with specific and safe positioning of patient prior to and during procedure.
- Anticipates needs of the physician with little or no prompting.
- Interprets and relays physician orders/requests to other team members.
- Assists nursing staff with pre-procedure patient preparation.
- Assists in transportation of patient as needed.
- Keeps the department fully stocked with appropriate supplies for departmental operation.
- Ensures work area is clean and the department is organized.
- Maintains competency in aseptic technique.
- Assists in surgical setup and case organization.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Licensure/Certification: Certified Registered Central Technician, Certified Instrument Specialist. Prefer Certified Healthcare Leader. Must become Certified Endoscopy Technician within two years of meeting eligibility requirements.
- Experience: Previous experience in a hospital sterile processing department is required.