Assist clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the scope of practice of an LPN/MA using the patient focused care system and under the direction/supervision of an RN. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
- Actively participates directly with patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patients need in a timely manner.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Welcome patients and assures the admission paperwork is available and actively participates in the admission process.
- Assists patients with ADLs including meals, bathing, and hygiene needs.
- Performs/Assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher.
- Performs/Assists with range of motion exercises and ambulating.
- Performs range of motion exercises with patients as appropriate.
- Reports abnormal conditions to the RN in a timely manner.
- Assists in the maintenance of skin integrity with the use of emollients, creams, etc. Cares for superficial skin tears under the direction of the RN.
- Identifies the organization of the human body; its systems, structure, and functions.
- Demonstrates general principles of cleanliness (asepsis).
- Applies the principle of basic nutrition to patient care.
- Provides basic emergency care.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Identifies, reports and records changes that result from disease or trauma to patients respiratory, cardiovascular, neurologic, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, reproductive, musculoskeletal, metabolic, psychologic, integumentary, sensory, immune, hematologic, and nutritional systems.
- Observes, reports and records the patients condition.
- Monitors intravenous lines for adequacy of fluids and operations and reports any non-functioning line as observed with visual inspection.
- Performs oral /nasal /endotracheal suctioning.
- Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including NIBP, SaO2 and ECG.
- Collects specimens such as urine, stool, sputum.
- Applies warm and cold compresses.
- Performs 12 lead EKG.
- Monitors and performs vital signs using a variety of equipment, and reports abnormalities to RN.
- Performs surgical preps on patients.
- Obtains weights and basic patient information on new admissions.
- Assists RN/MD in removal of sheath and applies manual pressure or c-clamp after hemostasis has been established.
- Observes sheath site for signs of bleeding and notifies RN of any changes.
- Provides clerical duties as needed.
- Able to apply simple dressings and assist RN with more complex dressings.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Performs hemostasis monitoring test.
- Performs intake and output measurements.
- Performs calorie counts.
- Performs ostomy care.
- Administers medications in a safe manner.
- Provides peripheral intravenous site care and is able to discontinue peripheral intravenous therapy.
- Collaborates with the RN in developing, implementing, and evaluation of the outcomes of the teaching plan.
- Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in keeping with job descriptions, licenses requirements and standards of practice.
- Uses resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Participates in peer review.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization
- Review programs.
- Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Assists in all aspects of care of the environment, such as dietary, housekeeping, infection control, and supply and equipment management.
- Attends 80% of in-services and departmental meetings.
- Help provide staff to other areas of the hospital when needed.
- Assists with patient charges as necessary.