Medical Assistant Summary:
This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a physician/mid-level provider, registered nurse and/or licensed practical nurse. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance and for POC testing.
- Ensures facility paperwork is available and actively participates in the admission process (i.e., patient arrival/check-in for clinic visit).
- Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
- Performs/assists with positioning patients and transferring patients (i.e., from wheelchair to exam table or bed; from bed to chair, wheelchair or stretcher). Transports patients as needed.
- Reports changes in condition to the nurse in a timely manner.
- Maintains personal responsibility for professional growth and development.
- Applies the knowledge of growth and development to appropriate patient populations.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains universal precautions.
- May travel to satellite clinics.
- Performs other assigned duties as directed by supervisor based on demonstrated competency.
- Education: High school diploma or G.E.D. required (if hired after January 1, 2003). Medical Assistant program diploma or Bachelor degree preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: MA certification preferred. BLS certification required within the first 30 days of employment. Basic EKG skills required within 6 months of employment. Certification is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card.
- Experience: With MA diploma, MA certification or Bachelor degree, none required. Without MA diploma, MA certification or Bachelor degree, minimum of six (6) months continuous and recent patient care experience required, preferably in an acute care setting. Knowledge of EHR and ability to navigate EHR preferred. Minimum of two years related work experience required, preferably in a medical office setting. Knowledge of medical office terminology desirable. Must have proficient computer skills.