Positions available on FT, PT, or PRN basis
The position is responsible for responding to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility. The Paramedic will provide pre-hospital emergency care and life support to patients during ambulance transport to a hospital or emergency room. The Paramedic should be passionate about saving lives, talented with triage, and can remain level-headed in highly stressful situations. This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
Flexible schedules to cover all shifts and weekends, as hospital demands
- Administer life support, first-aid treatment and other forms of prehospital emergency care to people who are injured or sick.
- Drive the ambulance to locations specified by the emergency dispatcher
- Upon arrival on scene, coordinate with other first responders including fire department personnel and other emergency medical team members
- Assess the presentation of illness or injury to prioritize medical treatment
- Immobilize patients with a backboard or neck brace before placement on a stretcher or in an ambulance
- Transport injured or sick patients to appropriate medical facilities in an ambulance or mobile intensive care unit
- Supervise non-paramedic crew members
- Provide basic and advanced life support, including comprehensive patient assessment, invasive airway management, cardiac monitoring and administration of medications
- Operate life support equipment such as bag valve mask resuscitators, electrocardiograms (EKGs), and external defibrillators
- Carry out diagnostic and emergency treatment procedures during ambulance transport, including airway management, heart monitoring, and stomach suction
- Provide comfort and reassurance to patients
- Observe the patient’s condition; record treatment details as well as the patient’s response to treatment; report to physician upon arrival at hospital
- Communicate with treatment center personnel regarding relevant details about the situation along with patient vital signs and medical history
- Always greets patients courteously and makes comfortable with department/surroundings.
- Ensures admission chart is ready and actively assists with admission process (ID band, computer information, and consent form).
- Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Assists patients with ADLs, including meals, bathing and hygiene needs.
- Sanitize the interior of the ambulance following treatment of a patient
- Maintain emergency vehicles, communication equipment, and medical equipment; notify supervisors of malfunctions and restocking needs
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Education: High school graduate or G.E.D. certificate required. Certificate or Associates degree in emergency medical technology or paramedic training preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Current Arkansas EMT certification and/or paramedic certification required. National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) paramedic certification. Current ACLS, BLS, PALS certification required on hire. Certification is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card. Valid Arkansas driver’s license with record acceptable to insurance carrier.
- Experience: Minimum of one year paramedic experience.