Responsible for all scheduling correspondence, including appointments, messages and other requests in an efficient and accurate manner, both in person and over the telephone. Obtains and furnishes information from other departments, patients and the public.
- Schedules, coordinates and reschedules patients appointments (i.e., clinic visits, procedures, outpatient appointments, testing).
- Maintains and updates current information on all physicians and/or departments schedules, ensuring that patients are scheduled properly and appointments are confirmed.
- May prepare and mail new patient packet when appointment is scheduled for three days or more in advance.
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance with each patient, and corrects information as necessary.
- Informs patient of account balance, if appropriate; may collect payments from patients and forward information to the Business Office.
- Answers incoming calls in a courteous manner, determines needed information and directs calls accordingly.
- Calls patients to verify and confirm appointments and answer any questions.
- Reminds patients of needed information in advance of appointment, including insurance cards, all medications and an authorization from their insurance company, if required.
- Ensures patient has all necessary patient education to facilitate patients appointment(s).
- Communicates clearly to other departments/staff, apprising of any changes in schedule or potential conflicts.
- Disposes of patient information in a proper manner to ensure confidentiality.
- Other assigned duties as directed by supervisor based on demonstrated competency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Team Lead Duties (if assigned)
- Ensures training and mentoring of new schedulers occurs within the team and monitors for additional training if needed
- Communicates all changes to staff in writing
- Ensures all schedules are maintained based on the physician and APN request
- Ability to write clearly and concisely, handle necessary scheduling issues and coordinate between staff and clinical team
- Monitor and approves time off request for staff members and communicates with management daily to ensure proper coverage is maintained
- Education: High School diploma required or equivalent.
- Licensure/Certification: None required.
- Experience: Minimum of two years related work experience required, preferably in a medical office setting. Knowledge of medical office terminology desirable. Must have proficient computer skills.