This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a physician/mid-level provider, registered nurse and/or licensed practical nurse. Assumes, under the direction of such, responsibility for patient arterial and venous sheath removal, urinary catheter insertion and removal, ABIs, peripheral IV insertion and removal, routine and venous specimen collection, 12 lead EKG, safe use of bladder scanner, defibrillator, vein finder, Doppler, and EKG machine, as well as other clerical duties to assist in the smooth operation of the department.
- Monitors and performs vital signs using a variety of equipment and reports abnormalities/unanticipated changes to RN.
- Performs/assists in removal of arterial or venous sheath and applies manual pressure or c-clamp after hemostasis has been established.
- Observes sheath site for signs of bleeding and notifies RN of any changes.
- Ability to apply single dressings and to assist RN with more complex dressings.
- Performs/assists with other clinical skills such as urinary catheter insertion and removal, ABIs, peripheral IV insertion and removal, routine and venous specimen collection, safe use of bladder scanner, defibrillator, vein finder, Doppler, and EKG machine.
- Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
- Performs/assists with positioning patients and transferring patients (i.e., from wheelchair to exam table or bed; from bed to chair, wheelchair or stretcher). Transports patients as needed.
- Reports changes in condition to the nurse in a timely manner.
- Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including inputting patient specific data in electronic health record and EKG equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to perform 12 lead EKG.
- Monitors and performs vital signs using a variety of equipment, inputs data into electronic health record and reports abnormalities/unanticipated changes to nurse.
- Provides clerical support as needed.
- Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Participates in peer review.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review program.
- Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Provides services to the physicians, within his/her scope of practice.
- Education: High school diploma or G.E.D. required (if hired after January 1, 2003). Graduate of an accredited Licensed Practical Nursing Program.
- Licensure/Certification: Licensed Practical Nurse. BLS certification required within the first 30 days of employment. Basic EKG skills required within 6 months of employment. Certification is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card.
- Experience: LPN, none required. Knowledge of EMR and ability to navigate EMR preferred.